Leading Partner: Kavarna Municipality
Kavarna is situated on a rocky coast in the northern part of the Bulgarian Black Sea coast. The municipality is part of Dobrich region and is located 49 km away from the regional city, and 63 km northeast is the city of Varna. The total territory of the municipality of Kavarna is 483 000 decares. It includes 21 settlements. According to data from 2011, about 16,300 people live there, and in the town of Kavarna live 12,572 people.
The relief of the Kavarna Municipality is flat and hilly. The beautiful coastline of Kavarna extends to 42 km and the total area of the beaches in the municipality is 74 000 sq. m. A large artificial beach is created on the coast of the town. One of the symbols of the city is Cape Chirakman. In the past, it has been crashing miles into the sea, but after severe earthquakes, it collapses. On its equal plateau there are many remnants of fortress walls, churches and necropolises, which is a proof of the antiquity of Kavarna. Today, Chirakman cape is a center of attraction for archaeologists. To the north of the city is one of the most beautiful sea noses, which is also the easternmost point of the European Union – Cape Kaliakra. The unique nature of the region and the Yayla locality attract many tourists who like the diversity of the seascape.
The economy of Kavarna municipality is mainly developed on the basis of agriculture. This is natural, as the settlements are located in one of the most fertile parts of Dobruja. Various crops are grown, the area is known for its fruit and vegetables. Another major contribution to the economy of the city is sea tourism. There are many beautiful beaches around Kavarna. Bolata is declared one of the most beautiful bays in the world. Within the municipality of Kavarna is one of the most prestigious golf courses in Bulgaria. A few kilometers away from the city are situated modern tourist complexes.
Partner 1: University of Ovidius – Constanta
“Ovidius” University of Constanta “Ovidius” University, the largest European Black Sea University, was founded in 1961, and in 1990, it became a multidisciplinary university with numerous curricula covering all three levels – Bachelor, Master, and Doctorate. The mission of “Ovidius” University is to create, maintain, and distribute knowledge to society through education, scientific research, and artistic creation at European standards. The university is multidisciplinary, ensuring students’ training through programs covering all levels of education, from undergraduate to masters and PhD, and various pedagogical training courses, courses for vocational training, Teaching Grades, Residency, etc. The areas of study cover a very wide range, from Medical Sciences to Engineering, from Humanities to Sciences, form Natural Sciences to Economics and Law, from Arts to Theology. Currently the University has 81 Bachelor degree programs in 44 domains, 54 master’s degree programs, and 4 Doctoral Schools in eight domains of study. “Ovidius” University of Constanța became part of the European Higher Education Area, starting with the academic year 2005-2006, when it implemented the Bologna process, offering diplomas recognized both in the EU and beyond. The university is permanently reviewing and reconfiguring the study programs and the teaching methods, placing the students at the centre of its concerns. Following the assessment of the Ministry of Education in 2011, “Ovidius” University was ranked in the category of education and scientific research institutions. In 2012, the university went through all the stages of evaluation and obtained the certification EN ISO 9001: 2008 issued by TÜV Austria. The evaluation conducted by the experts of the European University Association (EUA) in 2013 confirmed the high quality standards of the university activities and made recommendations that contributed to the update and development of the curricula. In 2016, the university completed the stages of institutional accreditation and obtained the ARACIS certification with a degree of trust. The second pillar of the mission of the “Ovidius” University is scientific research – technological development – innovation (RDI).
Professors and researchers at “Ovidius” University published during the last five years numerous articles in high-impact scientific journals. At present, there are approximately 30 research centres within the university. During the last ten years, the university has implemented almost 200 research projects, national and international, both as partner and lead partner. The infrastructure of the “Ovidius” University of Constanta is performant, the university having modern education spaces, equipped for the didactic process in professional conditions. The useful area for teaching activities (classrooms, seminar rooms, laboratories, and reading rooms) is over 24,000 sqm. The university Library “Ion Popișteanu”, hosts a rich publication fund amounting to almost 600,000 volumes: books, periodicals, reference works, monographs, manuscripts, audio-visual documents, CDs, DVDs, and maps. The university has also a Virtual Library, which provides users with free access to various bibliographic databases. The University Publishing House, Ovidius University Press, is included in the Catalogue of Publishers and Book Distributors in Romania and is a member of the Romanian Publishers’ Association.
Our students At present, at “Ovidius” University study more than 14,000 students, guided by 650 professors and researchers, supported by over 300 employees in administration and services. The university provides accommodation for 1,300 students in four studio-type student dormitories. Students benefit from access to the sports base of the university. “Ovidius” University provides support to student associations, actively involving in the organization of cultural and sport events and in the development of educational projects for young people. “Ovidius” University is a public institution and receives government subsidy, which allows approximately 6,500 young people to study free of charge. The same category of facilities includes more than 1,100 merit scholarships and more than 300 social scholarships. Our institution has a Centre for Educational and Professional Counselling that guides the students both during their university years and after graduation. Within the university, there is also a Centre for Excellence for Students, which aims at identifying students capable of performance and encouraging them to participate in student scientific competitions, scientific circles, seminars, national and international events, targeting permanent improvement.
Partner 2: Association Parteners 2000
Association Parteners 2000 was established in 2005 as a non-governmental organization, nonprofit and apolitical. The Association goal that is established is executing cooperation with Romanian or foreign physically and/or Legal entities performing for the purpose the works and the services since the homegrown public and private interest facilitating the access to private and public resources prosecuting the plans for social – economic and the cultural development with the domestic and international financing, for the benefit of local communities from both neighborhood countries Romania and Bulgaria.
The main activities are:
- Accessibility for the associations and foundations to the private and public resources;
- Supporting the partnership between public authorities and legal entities without patrimonial purpose;
- Promoting development sector for the small and medium enterprises;
- Identification and attraction founds for development;
- Identification and management the development funds for the association and project financing;
- Collaboration with economic agents, legal entities from the country and abroad for accomplishment the purpose of the association;
- Developing relationships with governmental and nongovernmental organizations from the country and abroad the country;
- Carrying out activities and services for money generators for the purpose of the association;
- Coordination of development programs for the territorial administrative units.
The City of Calarasi
The municipality of Calarasi, seat of the same-name county is located in South-Eastern Romania, in the SE of the Romanian Plain, on a terrace on the left of the Borcea Arm, some 25 metres high. The river Danube borders the city to the South, as the city is a port too, and the Borcea Arm which splits from the left banks downstream the Chiciu point, crosses the urban area North-South to South-West, after forming the Borcea Bend.
The archaeological digging all-around the city unearthed traces of material culture back from the Neolithic and the Bronze Age (Coslogeni Culture, 13th century BC), Greek vases and coins with the 1st millennia BC and Roman vestiges of the 1st – 3rd century AD.
The area of Calarasi was for several times the spot of the wars against the Turks. It was declared municipality on February 17 1968. Between February 17 1968 and January 23 1981 it was part of the Ialomita County, when by dissolution of the Ilfov County and division of the Ialomita County, the Calarasi and Giurgiu counties were established.
The population census of 2011 counted 65,181 inhabitants for Calarasi city.
Of the cultural and tourist objectives in Calarasi to be mentioned are: the Lower Danube’s Museum, with archaeology, history and art sections, established in 1951; the archaeological site of Calarasi, the Gradistea – Calarasi lot, located 2 km of the municipality; the Volna Church (1856); the Orthodox Saint Nicholas Cathedral (1838); the building of the former firemen caserne (1897), today the National Archives; the Prefecture Palace (1895-1897), in neo-classic style; the WW I Heroes Memorial (1925); the King Carol I statue, placed nearby the same-name gymnasium.
The crossing point on the Danube at Chiciu-Ostrov is an excellent place for fishing and nautical sports training. At the same time, it is a good spot for boating on the Danube and on the Borcea Arm.
The city’s inhabitants and the tourists as well could benefit during summertime from the three beaches. The largest of all (The Big Beach) is opposite to the Borcea Arm, as it is accessible by boat or by motorboat. The Tineretului Beach is placed nearby the forest. There is also a recreation trail, on the Danube, with a ship sailing from the Central Park station and reaching Silistra, on the Bulgarian bank.